A collection of inspirational wisdom, practical instruction on recovery, and research is below.
Some is specifically literature on Narcissistic Personality Disorder (and Antisocial Personality Disorder), and Codependency, whilst some is just damned helpful info on living your best life and where I’ve found resounding truths that have struck me as relevant for any healing journey.
You will note there are affiliate links below. These are all however titles that I highly recommend. I won’t put anything on this page that I haven’t verified and/or personally read.
Clicking on the links will take you directly to the title to purchase and get started on the knowledge building and awareness raising stage of recovery.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder & Antisocial Personality Disorder
- Lundy Bancroft. 2003. Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men. Berkley Books.
- Susan Forward. 2002. Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life. Bantam, USA.
- David Gillespie. 2017. Taming Toxic People: The Science of Identifying and Dealing with Psychopaths at Work & at Home. Harper Collins.
- Martha Stout. 2005. The Sociopath Next Door. Harmony Books.
Note – included are also titles that focus more generally on healing C-PTSD and the effects of childhood abuse.
- Melodie Beattie
- 1990. Codependents’ Guide to the Twelve Steps. Fireside.
- 1992 (2nd ed.). Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself. Hazelden.
- 2009. The New Codependency: Help and Guidance for Today’s Generation. Simon & Schuster.
- Pia Mellody, Andrea Wells Miller and J. Keith Miller. 2003. Facing Love Addiction: Giving Yourself the Power to Change the Way You Love. Harper One.
- Karyl McBride. 2008. Will I Ever Be Good Enough?: Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers. Atria.
- Alice Miller. 1997. The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self, Revised Edition. Basic Book.
- Robin Norwood. 2009. Women Who Love Too Much: When You Keep Wishing and Hoping He’ll Change. Arrow Books.
Healing and pursuing your best life
- Brene Brown
- 2007. I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn’t): Making the Journey from “What Will People Think?” to “I Am Enough”. Penguin.
- 2010. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are. Hazelden.
- 2012. Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. Penguin.
- 2015. Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead. Vermilion.
- Edith Eger. 2017. The Choice: Embrace the Possible. Scribner.
- Elizabeth Lesser. 2004. Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow. Rider Books.
Disclosure: Narc Wise is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for participants to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.